A Care Management Assessment gives Umbrella’s care manager, the patient, and the family a clear picture of the patient’s:
- Affordable care options, and
It is one of the most important steps in the process of providing quality care for your loved one. Each assessment is individual; there is no one-size-fits-all solution in eldercare and caregiving. The professional geriatric care manager offers creative, custom solutions for better outcomes.
During the assessment, we review multiple aspects of the patient’s current health, legal, and financial situation. A key element of the assessment is reviewing the patient’s functional status and daily living challenges, which can help anticipate problems, such as falls or poor nutrition and dehydration. The completed assessment serves as an accurate health and personal record.
Our expert care managers assess patients in their home. Through careful observation, our care manager may notice slight changes and warning signs that would otherwise go unnoticed. Common examples include:
- A patient may have had some minor falls, which they neglected to mention to family members.
- A patient may have difficulty reaching in the kitchen, which limits their cooking/diet.
- Vision changes or fear of falling may have led to the patient “sponge bathing” because of concerns in the bath or shower.
The comprehensive assessment also uncovers your loved one’s concerns and desires — patients are often more willing to share this information with a care manager than with family members who they want to protect from the prospect of caring for a dependent loved one.
Our care managers provide dignified support and seek solutions that will work for all involved. Often, we are able to provide not only a better picture of the situation and recommendations, but help patients and families agree on the best care options to assist patients and family caregivers alike.
Once the assessment is complete, either family caregivers or an Umbrella care manager can begin to implement the steps outlined in the care plan.
What The Assessment Includes
Our Comprehensive Assessment is a thorough evaluation of a patient’s situation and provides the foundation for the care plan. In the assessment:
- We gather initial information over the phone and make an appointment for the care manager to visit the patient in his/her environment. The care manager assesses problems and concerns and discusses the best approach to the situation.
- The care manager completes a thorough medical, financial, and social history. This information is compiled via consultations with the patient, spouse, family members, physicians, support services, and other professionals as indicated.
- We then create a complete medical file that includes confirmation of diagnoses and medications and the medical history.
- We create a financial history that includes an insurance review (health, long-term care, etc.). Legal documents including any advance directives are ascertained and referrals made for review or completion of legal documents/services. Finances are reviewed if requested, or in the event a client requires budgeting of services.
- We establish a social history, including a review of the patient’s current social support network.
- We thoroughly evaluate the current living arrangement, including the need for adaptive devices and environmental modifications, or the move to a different environment or care facility.
- We evaluate the patient’s ability to complete activities of daily living (i.e. shower/bathe, dress, prepare meals, move, etc.).
- We evaluate the patient’s cognitive abilities.
- We compile a formal report from this data with specific recommendations to improve the patient’s quality of life. We provide the report to all relevant parties and review it with them. Referrals to various professionals, services, and programs are included in the report, as appropriate.
- Finally, we develop a plan of care that may include the care manager’s assistance with recommendations/specific projects or ongoing monitoring and assistance. The family, of course, may implement the care plan.
"Considering the situation, Diane helped us get the best outcome possible (mom at home as long as possible, getting dad help with aides, and then placement in a nursing home when necessitated by mom's condition). I highly recommend Diane and Umbrella Care to anyone looking for help with caring for elders in their life."
"The person I spent the most time with was Maria, our care manager. Words cannot express the appreciation for her help, guidance, advice and counsel along the way. Maria was always available and always quickly responded to our questions and concerns. My family cannot thank Maria enough. Therefore, it is without hesitation that I would recommend Umbrella Care!"
"My family would be at a complete loss of what to do without the expert care and guidance from Umbrella Care Management. Fortunately, a longtime friend referred Maria and Umbrella to my family, and we couldn’t be more grateful. My mother’s adult children live scattered across the country, in various states and time zones. With mom developing increasing dementia with a strong desire to remain in her home, we were at a loss as to how to support her in this goal. Maria, Laura and the Umbrella team have been instrumental in helping support our mom remain safely in her home."
"I live 4 hours from my father and when his care needs became more than I could handle from that distance, I contacted Umbrella Care. Monique became my father's advocate and care manager providing the in-person oversight that I couldn't and asking questions about his care that I didn't even know to ask. It was a relief knowing that he had Monique nearby to look out for him. She was professional, smart, kind and caring of not just him, but also of me!"
"I have been using Umbrella Care Management for two to three months now. It is excellent. They keep up with the completion of important items. The staff members are excellent. Umbrella Care Management is an excellent choice."
"[Umbrella Care Management] really handled the entire process. It was a breeze; I'm so thankful for them."
"...Umbrella Care seemed to have the most variety of different things because not only did I need my uncle to find a place to live but I also needed the Medicaid's help."
"I cannot imagine having been able to get to this point...had we not had Umbrella Care's help."
“If (my friend) had had the unlimited assistance of family and friends all this time, the results could not have been any better. I am profoundly grateful to Umbrella for what they have accomplished.”
“(Umbrella) was able to find a resource for my mother who was at a distance in a way that I would never have been able to find it. Because of Umbrella, I was able to get peace of mind.”
“Getting Medicaid for my mother was a very confusing process for us. The answers that (Umbrella) provided really helped me and directed me to the right path.”
”Umbrella they took my problems away... and really came through for us. It’s been just marvelous. Their service was fantastic and way above average. I am so glad I found them.”
“My father was declined from our preferred nursing home because he has Alzheimer’s and he has some physical aggression. Barbara dug into the matter and changed that, which allowed my father to spend his final days in a nursing home much closer to us than had we not enlisted Umbrella’s help.”
“An Umbrella team member resolved my problems for me in a professional expedited manner; Umbrella exceeded all of my expectations!”
It has been a very good experience with (Umbrella). It’s wonderful to have their help.
“5 Stars is not enough! If I could give Umbrella 10 Stars I would! Barbara has angel wings and has opened so many doors for me and my brother. EVERYONE in their lifetime should meet someone like Barbara.”
“Umbrella got me through the Medicaid process in very short order, and even coordinated with the local nursing homes to find my father the most appropriate facility without unnecessary delay. It just made my life so much easier. I have nothing but good things to say about Umbrella Care Management; they’re all absolutely fantastic.”
”We just needed someone to help us navigate everything that was going, and to act as an advocate for mom since none of us could be there. My mother liked Barbara right away, and she was very helpful to all of us.”
“Umbrella has been fabulous. They are an absolute godsend.”
“She’s just really the perfect mix of someone who can get things done and someone who brings her heart with her. Barbara saved my life.”
“Umbrella's team is very knowledgeable and respectful of my mother’s wishes. We are having a very good experience with Umbrella Care Management.”
”My experience with Umbrella was the best ever! They were wonderful.”
”Umbrella is there to help me navigate through the processes, the paperwork, the placement, the medical issues, and my own anxiety. I don’t know what I would do without their help.”
”Umbrella Care Management... is very professional and responsive. They always go above and beyond.”
“... an Umbrella care manager helped us get everything wrapped up in just two weeks. She made the whole process go smoothly, and her follow-through was excellent. It was just really a good experience.”
“I highly recommend Umbrella for any help you may need with dealing with an aging parent or elderly person. I am so grateful and feel blessed that Umbrella happened into my mother and I’s life!”
“Not only has (Umbrella Care Management) steered my aunt (who lives in New York City) through the healthcare system and subsequent therapy so that she is now back in her own apartment, but the caregivers have also become very kind and trusted confidants to her.”
“Umbrella Care Management definitely goes over and above what it has to do to help. The team is wonderful in helping people with their elderly care.”
”The care managers are excellent with hands-on materials and answered all my questions every step of the way. I don’t know what I would have done without them.”
“(when) my mom and dad became very ill... I had nowhere to turn and had no idea where to even start. Umbrella Care Management has helped us every step of the way.”